Tuesday, April 1, 2008

What's going on here?

In May, 2006 my wife and I started attending an Episcopal church in Tucson, Arizona -- well, really in the town of Oro Valley just outside of Tucson. We grew up in churches that were somewhat less traditional -- I attended church in the basement of my folks' house, in fact -- so the experience of participating in a more formal liturgy is different from our history. Fortunately, the church we are attending offers a quite diverse collection of services, ranging from a music-free Rite I service, a traditional Rite II service that conforms to the 1979 Book of Common Prayer, to a contemporary service that sometimes includes writings from members of the congregation. I am, of course, most comfortable in this latter setting, and have participated in writing some of the materials used in that service, and in building other pieces used in the services. What does that mean? Read on, and you'll see as the blog grows.

My wife leads the liturgy team, and is responsible for planning the seasonal liturgies. She works with our music director to select service music. She also does a large portion of the preparation of our weekly PowerPoint slides that are used to guide the congregation through the Rite II and contemporary services.

The purpose of this blog is to collect some of these components of our services together so that we can reference them in the future, and so that anyone else that stumbles across these pages can also use these materials. Everything that I put on these pages -- that is, pieces that I write -- are free for your use, and are copyrighted using a Creative Commons license. You can see the license using the link in the footer of this page.

Enjoy!

No comments: